Saturday 21 May 2011

Croissant

Waking up to freshly baked croissants is heavenly ;) It’s all I want on some Saturday mornings ;) This was my first attempt after procrastinating for months, well, nothing new. Never mind, procrastination and hesitation are history now and I started getting my hands dirty. First, the dough. Happily measuring all the ingredients in the mixing bowl according to the recipe, some time passed, my dough was still very wet and sticky.
Didn’t look good, tried to check my notes but all that was written down was that the dough has to be even and sleek - a little elastic, a little hard and a little soft… well, that’s helpful ;) In the end, I just went with my judgment. Adding flour to the dough until it didn’t stick to the bowl, good enough I thought. After resting the dough, came the second part - layering. I started folding in the butter and layering it, the warm weather didn’t help, and I created a bit of a mess. It’s like déjà vu last summer in the lab of the baking school I went to, slight improvement this time. Finally got it all rolled into shape and egg washed. Then waited anxiously for the croissants to bake… 15 minutes passed, the oven timer rang, the croissants were ready! That’s what I thought but no, it wasn’t thoroughly baked, so back into the oven for a little longer. When it was finally baked, I was relieved. At first glance, it looked a little bumpy but acceptable, then came the ultimate test – the texture and taste. It’s not bad ;) Not the best and certainly room for improvement but I’m glad that I gave it a go.



2 comments:

Camille Hesketh said...

They were absolutely delicious! I went to sneak one of the three you gave me for a late-night snack and I couldn't stop.. I ate all three happily, but sadly there were none left for breakfast.

Sheau-Yin said...

I'm so happy that you liked it! :) Looking to bake more, you'll be on my to-give list ;)