Saturday 28 May 2011

Profiteroles

Profiterole - it’s a choux pastry ball filled with pastry cream (whipped cream, ice cream etc.) garnished with chocolate sauce or caramel sauce. To prepare good profiteroles is rather tricky; it’s sensitive to the amount of liquid (water, milk or eggs) in it. Too little liquid the pastry won’t rise, too much of it the pastry will just collapse. I’ve made profiteroles a couple of times in class. Each time, the amount of eggs added varied, depending on how long the liquid had been boiled, to adjust the consistency. 
Someday, I’ll have the exact timing for boiling, and amount of eggs needed, for a good profiterole. For now, I will have to use my judgment. It’s both exciting and nerve wrecking as you don’t know exactly how the profiteroles will turn out. This time, I had it right, I think? Well, it’s a personal preference, my editor thinks it’s good. I rather like my profiteroles too this time, and after I filled the profiteroles with pastry cream and covered it with some milk chocolate sauce, they tasted good! I was so clumsy that by the time I filled my profiteroles with pastry cream and dipped them in chocolate sauce, my table was dotted with cream and chocolate! I didn’t like the cleaning and washing up after baking but didn’t mind licking the cream off my fingers ;)




No comments: