Thursday 8 September 2011

Home-Made Market - Prins Hendrikstraat, Den Haag

Three weeks have passed since my last post, I have not done much besides meeting friends. The rain kept coming, patchy but persistent. Nothing exciting on the weather front, but not so for sport! On the day of Manchester's triumphant win over Arsenal at Old Trafford on the 28th of August 2011, a decision was made - I was going to participate in the Home-Made Market :)

I spent the whole week planning for my inaugural sale, and still managed to slot in time to cook up a dinner for my editor's colleagues. The morning of the day before, I woke up early (not really my forte since I moved to the Hague) to get ready for a baking marathon. My editor doubled up as my assistant, running around to get stuff that I needed. My day went by pretty smoothly except for a little drama at the end - a few of the lemon tart bases crumbled, so I only had one instead of four as planned. It was not until 5am that I finished baking... I sank straight into my bed snoring away before being woken up three hours later by the alarm...

It wasn't the best weather at the start of the day, clouds were hovering above and there were rain drops. I quickly washed up and donned a dress. I still hadn't really figured out how to transport my cakes and tarts! But no time to panic, I started cutting the cakes while working out a plan. Finally, we loaded everything onto a bamboo board and in baskets, cling-wrapped it and set out to the market. We were an hour late for the scheduled opening time.

The crowd started to pour in and my cakes started to disappear one by one... I was sold out in just about 3 hours! I made a profit, a small but proud one ;) I was so tired but it was well worth the experience and fun, I'm glad I did it :) A big hug to my editor and Eva who came to help and a big thanks to all the people who bought from me :)




2 comments:

Malinder said...

Aww, well done! So happy for you that it was a success!

Sheau-Yin said...

Thanks! was very happy indeed ;)