Friday 12 August 2011

Egg Tart

While the West have croissant and coffee for breakfast; in the East, we have pastry too for breakfast, egg tart. It's very much like the portuguese egg tart but with a wobbly and soft egg custard centre. Oooh... it's delicious! We do not only have it for breakfast, for lunch, tea, in fact at any time of the day as your heart desires ;) It's a familiar dish during "dim sum" where you savour individual portions of food - dumplings and pastries, steamed or baked or fried served in a bamboo steamer basket or plate. Egg tart is a must for me, especially when it's fresh from the oven!
The crust of the egg tart is like the french flaky dough, except it's traditionally made of lard rather than butter. Since I know the french way and finding lard is not easy, I decided to mix the two, the West and the East to make my "fusion" egg tart. After 2 attempts and many failed egg tarts collected in my stomach, I finally have my decent looking egg tart :) After I took these photos, I belted them all down my stomach, still craving for more...

p.s. ok, my editor had one ;)

1st successful egg tart using flaky dough (pate feuilletee)

the egg custard is a tad too wobbly, slightly underbaked...

After my first success, I impressed my editor again, this time with a reverse flaky dough (pate feuilletee inversee). Oh the result is amazing!

the crust just melts in your mouth...

this time the egg custard is cooked just right ;)

now you see it...

now you don't ;)

Third time, I decided to share my egg tarts with the girls! Their verdict? 10/10, 10/10, 10/10, 10/10! ;) You made my day girls!! These pics below are taken by Mel, simply love her shots :)





3 comments:

Megan said...

My god!!! looks like egg tart from Kee Lun! the last time we did it, was so different from this yah... Thumbs up my friend!! barber and I love egg tart,...hope to have one for him next Monday ok...:)-

Sheau-Yin said...

Thanks! Yup, a big improvement from last time! I'm happy ;) Sure, we'll keep one for Barber ;)

Malinder said...

That looks real good! mmmmm....