Tuesday 5 April 2011

Corned Beef and Onion Pie

Two bikes, two blokes, two friends, they go round the globe seeking out new dishes - travelling to Namibia, India, Vietnam, Argentina, Mexico, Ireland... Yes, if you follow BBC2, you'll know who they are! The Hairy Bikers! I love watching BBC2 cooking programmes - different chefs, different techniques of cooking, different approaches to food.
What's interesting about Hairy Bikers is that they don't look any bit like chefs, they look shaggy, and their cooking, simple and hearty, day to day kind of food. There's nothing wrong with that, I love it, it's not pretentious. While I like food cooked with precision and flair, it's also important to be able to cook up something delicious without fuss. So today, I decided to try out their corned beef and onion pie! First, I prepared the pastry. Next, I diced the onions, carrots, celery and potatoes, cooked them with some tomato sauce and added to it, a can of corned beef, seasoned it with black pepper and a pinch of salt. Then I rolled out the pastry to make the base and the top, filled it up and egg washed it. Done, into the oven! Waited for 40 minutes and there we were, hungrily digging into a hearty meal. It was brilliant! After such a wholesome meal, I think I'm ready to plough the field! While I was typing away, I could hear my editor snoring away, dreaming his corned beef pie dream... I’m going to join him




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep I'd try that too if I had the recipe.