Sunday 13 March 2011

Apple Fangipane Tart

Apple tart, apple tart, you get apple tart in almost every cafe you go to in The Hague, in The Netherlands, the same for herring, potato chips, croquette, stamppot... a typical dutch apple pie is a mix of apples, sultanas, cinnamon and cloves encased in a sweet crumbly crust. But I wanted something different!!
An apple tart with frangipane cream perhaps? The only way I was to have some was to make it myself. It works with red or yellow or green apple, best is to use apples that are in season but I like Golden Delicious apples. It has a light green or pale creamy yellow colour, and its sweetness is, sometimes, accompanied by a tinge of sour. While I don’t quite like eating fresh sour apples, the idea of having slightly sourish apples in desserts adds a splash of freshness to it, which I find welcoming. I like the combination of sweet and sour!





No comments: