Saturday 5 March 2011

Financier

Financier is a small french cake, light and moist and has, traditionally, a rectangular shape. I've always wondered why it's called Financier, a search on the internet soon quenched my curiosity. Some say the name Financier is derived from its traditional shape that resembles a gold bar.
Another story says it was a cake created in the late 19th century by pastry chef Lasne who owned a shop on Rue Saint-Denis near the Bourse (Paris stock exchange) to suit his always on-the-go clients. The cake became so popular that it was named after his clients - Financier. I love this cake because it's quick and easy to make and it's delicious with tea or coffee. It's great when I have unexpected guests who are feeling peckish; it's perfect for an afternoon girly chat with my girlfriends; it could be a boardroom delight to break the serious tone; it's great for picnics; easy for a quick bite for someone on the go... there're endless ways to enjoy this cake. There're also endless toppings that you can add to it, though I have my heart set on raspberry - I find its sourish taste perfectly complements the sweetness of the almond, and makes it more inviting. Come dive in with me!

 

raspberry juice oozing out of the financier...

enjoying the financiers while browsing through seaside interior  

2 comments:

Malinder said...

This was so delicious! Looking forward to more :D

Sheau-Yin said...

sure! I'll bake some when you come over next time ;)